Admission to Teacher Certification
Admission to Teacher Certification
UTSA is approved by the State Board for Educator Certification to recommend students for teaching certificates in various baccalaureate degree areas. Students seeking a standard teaching certificate or seeking certification endorsements should apply for admission to the certification program through the College of Education and Human Development (COEHD) Advising and Certification Center. Applicants may be either degree-seeking or special students.
Undergraduates seeking elementary teacher certification must complete the Interdisciplinary Studies degree as outlined in the UTSA Undergraduate Catalog. Individuals seeking secondary certification should complete the bachelor's degree requirements in their academic specialization while coordinating with the COEHD Advising and Certification Center to fulfill certification requirements.
Requirements for Admission to the Undergraduate Teacher Certification Program
- a. Students seeking admission to the Undergraduate Teacher Certification Program (“Program”) who have ever been referred to UTSA’s Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards (“SCCS”) may have those referrals and the outcomes of those referrals considered by the Associate Dean for Teacher Education (“Associate Dean”) in determining whether to grant admission to the Program. Admission is at the discretion of the Associate Dean.
- b. Students requesting admission to the Program who have cases pending with the SCCS will not be admitted until the SCCS case has been fully adjudicated.
2. Clear criminal history.
The teacher preparation program at UTSA requires field work in the public schools. This requires that a student be able to pass a criminal background check conducted by the school districts. It is the responsibility of the student to determine if their criminal history background will present a problem before applying for admission to the teacher preparation program. Note that students with a problematic criminal history will encounter difficulty in completing any field work requirements and therefore, may not be able to complete the program. Questions about criminal history background checks can be referred to the Office of Teacher Education services.
1. View the Teacher Certification Information tutorial online*.
*EC-6, 4-8 and Special Education view: IDS Online Tutorial.
*EC-6 Bilingual and 4-8 Bilingual view: BBL Online Tutorial.
*Secondary, EC-12 Heath, PE, Music and Art view: Sec. Online Tutorial
Note: Please use Internet Explorer to view videos.
2. Take a quick quiz and fill out an online application. Click here for directions to apply Online.
3. Attain junior standing (60 semester credit hours) with at least nine hours completed at UTSA
4. Complete all core requirements
5. Have a minimum grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) on all work completed
6. Attain minimum passing scores on one of the following exams: THEA, ACCUPLACER, ASSET, COMPASS, SAT or ACT
ASSET: Reading Skills - 41; Elementary Algebra - 38, Writing Skills -40; Written Essay - 6
COMPASS: Reading Skills - 81; Algebra - 39; Writing Skills - 59; Written Essay - 6
ACCUPLACER: Reading Comprehension - 78; Elementary Algebra - 63; Sentence Skills - 85; Written Essay - 6
THEA: Reading - 230, Math - 230; Writing- 220
SAT: Composite score of 1070 or higher
ACT: Composite score of 23 or higher
*exam scores cannot be mixed and matched*
7. Earn a "C" or better in WRC 1023.
8. Earn a "C" or better in a public speaking course (WRC 1013, COM 1043, COM 1053, COM 2123, COM 2113, SPN 3003, or SPN 3033)
9. Purchase LiveText. Students will be required to turn in a copy of the receipt and keycode to MB 3.214
10. Read and Sign the Code of Ethics. Students will need to turn in the last page of the Code of Ethics signed and dated to MB 3.214. Code of Ethics
11. EC-6 BBL and 4-8 BBL will be required to have taken the ALPS test.
For the hearing impaired, please click the link below for your respective tutorial.
Save the PowerPoint presentation to your desktop to view the narrator’s notes.
- To download the PowerPoint presentation for the IDS Online Tutorial, click here.
- To download the PowerPoint presentation for the BBL Online Tutorial, click here.
- To download the PowerPoint presentation for the Sec. Online Tutorial, click here.