Post-Baccalaureate Certification Program
UTSA is approved by the Texas Education Agency to offer teacher candidates various routes to teacher certification. The Post-Baccalaureate Certification Program is a track that allows students who have earned a Bachelor's degree or higher to obtain Texas teacher certification at the elementary and secondary level.
Effective Sept. 1, 2017, a $55 TEA fee will be charged to the teacher candidate’s account. This fee is absorbed by the Texas Education Agency and is not used by the University of Texas at San Antonio. It is a one-time, non-refundable fee that will be charged at time of admission.
Requirements for Admission to the Post-Baccalaureate Certification Program:
- Attend a Teacher Certification Information Meeting
- Be Admitted to UTSA
- Maintain your preferred email address
- Hold a Bachelor's degree from an accredited university
- Meet minimum GPA requirements of 2.5 or better in the cumulative GPA or 2.75 in the last 60 hours.
- Pass the PACT test in the designated content area. Please see below post bac plans for further information.
- Complete 12-15 hours of content coursework. Math and Science certification will require 15 hours.
- Display oral communication skills and critical thinking skills. Evidence of these skills can be demonstrated by earning a C- or better in related coursework or work experience. Teacher Candidates who did not receive a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in the United States will be required to take the TOEFL IBT in order to demonstrate proficiency. Required score for TOEFL IBT is a 26 on the oral language section.
- Read and Sign the Code of Ethics
- Submit an application to the UTSA Post-Baccalaureate Certification Program. This is obtained at the Teacher Certification Information Meeting.
Areas of Post-Baccalaureate Certification:
Core Subjects EC-6
Core Subjects 4-8 with Bilingual Emphasis
Core Subjects 4-8 with ESL Emphasis
7-12 English Language Arts
7-12 Life Science
6-12 Physical Science
7-12 Science Composite
7-12 Social Studies
EC-12 Physical Education
EC-12 Special Education