Click on image to view ELPS Informational Video
The Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies offers graduate programs for educational leaders in P-12 (Pre-K thru 12th Grade) and higher education (college and university) settings. Our goal is to prepare leaders who can work effectively in ethnically, racially, socially, and linguistically diverse educational environments. Through our partnerships with local school districts and institutions of higher education, students have the opportunity to apply leadership theories and practices in real-world settings.
Our Academic Programs
Doctoral students obtain advanced academic training in educational and administrative leadership specifically focused on theories of education and learning; emerging paradigms of organizational leadership; and high-level research skills for developing, analyzing, and evaluating educational programs and practices. The degree is offered with two different areas of emphasis:
Our master’s degree programs assist students in understanding the unique problems and expertise associated with effective personnel, instruction, and managerial processes needed to lead P-20 educational institutions. The degree is offered with two areas of concentration:
Our department offers principal and superintendent programs
that supply students with the educational tools necessary to provide leadership
in P-12 educational institutions. After
completing these programs, students are eligible for the Principal and
Superintendent TExES Exam to receive Certification in the state of Texas.
Our Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Administration enhances professional preparation and development opportunities for current and prospective higher education administrators.
UTSA, The Right Choice
- Our Faculty Cares! -- To support student success, professional growth and student-faculty relationships, students are assigned a faculty advisor.
- Professional Networking -- Our students expand their personal networks by working alongside other dedicated educators, administrators, and student affairs professionals.
- Diverse Opportunities -- Our programs expose students to proven leadership practices aimed at improving the learning opportunities for P-20 students, especially those from under-represented racial and ethnic groups.
- Educational Expertise -- Our faculty bring a wealth of diverse educational and research interests, which invigorates and informs their teaching.
- Research -- Our faculty and students conduct and disseminate research on critical issues in P-20 education.
- Convenience -- To accommodate working professionals, courses are offered in the evenings at both the Main and Downtown UTSA campuses.
The department’s Urban School Leaders Collaborative was awarded the 2013 Exemplary Educational Leadership Preparation Award by the University Council for Educational Administration (UCEA).
Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
Monday, February 8, 2016
TIME: 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
LOC: Downtown Campus
BLDG: Durango Building, Southwest Room 1.124
Saturday, February 13, 3016
TIME: 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
LOC: Main Campus
BLDG: Business Building, University Room, 2.06.04
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
TIME: 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
LOC: UTSA Downtown Campus
BLDG: Buena Vista Building, Room 1.338