Center for the Inquiry of Transformative Literacies
One UTSA Circle
UTSA Main Campus
Dr. Misty Sailors, Director
Dr. Alicia Villarreal, Research Coordinator
Message from the Director
Welcome to the next chapter of La Plaza de Lectura and the San Antonio Writing Project. With the opening of UTSA’s newest research center, the Center for the Inquiry of Transformative Literacies (CITL), we are bridging two strong literacy programs. In doing so, we are expanding our outreach and centering our work on research.
We are excited about the affordances CITL offers young people, teachers, and community services.
We encourage you to peruse this site, see what we do and what we have to offer.
We look forward to hearing from you.
MISTY SAILORS, PHD
Professor, Literacy Education
Director, Center for the Inquiry of Transformative Literacies
Director, San Antonio Writing Project
Interdisciplinary Learning and Teaching
College of Education and Human Development
The University of Texas at San Antonio
The mission of the Center for the Inquiry of Transformative Literacies (CITL) is to promote more humanizing approaches to literacy, literacy development, literacy research, and literacy instruction to improve literacy achievement and the human condition.
Objectives of the CITL
The Center for the Inquiry of Transformative Literacies is committed to,
• Providing opportunities for research activities for undergraduate and graduate literacy education students;
• Improving the quality of literacy learning, literacy education, and literacy leadership in the San Antonio metropolitan area through research-based professional development for classroom teachers;
• Becoming an international exemplar as a site for research on teacher education;
• Improving the human condition of children and youth in the greater San Antonio metropolitan area by providing research-based reading and literacy experiences with reading and literacy in a humanizing environment;
• Providing research-based opportunities to practice teaching reading and literacy for undergraduate and master reading teachers; and
• Serving as a statewide resource.