UTSA | COEHD | University of Texas at San Antonio | College of Edcuation and Human Development
Tue, October 22, 2019

Graduate Certificate Program

Graduate certificates are conferred through an educational process, and typically awarded upon completion of required courses. Sponsoring academic units may align required coursework with established professional standards. Certificates may require some demonstration of knowledge acquired through the coursework, such as a project or portfolio.

Higher Education Administration Graduate Certificate


This certificate enhances professional preparation and development opportunities for current and prospective higher education administrators. Students choose 15 hours of coursework tailored to meet their educational needs such as classes focused on understanding multicultural issues in higher education, college student development theory, higher education law, and/or evaluation and assessment. The certificate program is available to students admitted as special graduate students to seek the certificate independent of a degree as well as current UTSA master's degree students who are not matriculating through the M.Ed. with a concentration in Higher Education Administration. 


  • Our students expand their personal professional networks by working alongside other dedicated administrators and student affairs professionals.
  • Our department partners with offices in and outside of UTSA to connect students with  graduate assistantships and other employment opportunities while completing their degree. 
  • The program provides a field-based internship to broaden students' knowledge and  professional experience with higher education systems.
  • The ELPS department has a diverse and experienced faculty who are nationally and internationally recognized for their research, service and teaching. 


Students who complete the Certificate in HEA can find career opportunities such as: assistant director of student relations, resident director, academic advisor, program manager, student development specialist, financial aid advisor, and other higher education administration positions in universities and community colleges. 


  • A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution
  • A GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in the last 30 hrs of baccalaureate degree program and all previous graduate work
  • Be in good standing at the last institution attended
  • Evidence of one year of experience in student affairs, higher education administration or a related field that is documented by the submission of a resume


Samantha Sifuentes    210.458.2721

Request More Information Click Here If you would like more information
on this degree or would like us to contact you.

Fact Sheet

Grad Catalog

Apply Now!