A World-Class Education
We are engaged in a bold endeavor to provide students with a first-rate education that equips them with the skills to respond to the educational challenges of today and beyond. Though our multi-disciplinary departments, diverse academic centers and our Consortium for Social Transformation, the COEHD offers students with numerous choices for enriching their education and achieving the most out of their educational dollar. Here are just a few of the ways that COEHD has helped students achieve success!
- U.S. News & World Report ranks UTSA among Texas’ Top Five Graduate Programs in Education.
- The University of Texas at San Antonio has been named one of the best new universities in the world by The Times Higher Education for three consecutive years (2014).
UTSA’s Downtown Campus plays an integral part in COEHD’s ability to serve our students and our community. UTSA Downtown is a full-service, public educational institution with the added advantage of being located in the heart of San Antonio. Currently, the downtown facilities house COEHD’s
as well as
- The Center for Educational Leadership, Policy and Professional Development
- The Teacher Education Autism Model (TEAM Center)
- La Plaza de Lectura (The Reading Place)
- UTSA Sarabia Family Counseling Center (Formerly the Community Family Life Center)
- The Psychological Assessment and Consultation Center
- The National Center for Accelerated Schools
- Center for Research and Policy in Education
- Mexican-American Studies
Currently, the COEHD Downtown Campus offers two Master’s degree programs in Counseling and School Psychology, with a BA in Mexican American Studies. Additionally, we have a Ph.D. program in Counselor Education and Supervision. Other features of the Downtown Campus include a 19,000 square-foot library, a 150-seat computer lab, a professional quality theater, an art gallery, a student activities center, and dining facilities.
China, Thailand, Mexico, Peru, Equador, and the list continues to grow! COEHD offers students the chance to broaden their horizons through study abroad programs. Education abroad offers cultural immersion, new perspectives and most of all great experiences. (Recent excursions included China, Peru and the Amazon).
Students can add a minor in Mexican-American Studies, African-American Studies or Women’s Studies through the Consortium for Social Transformation, a collection of study opportunities targeted at diverse populations.
Thai, Japanese, Korean, Turkish… the Intensive English Program offers instruction and cultural orientation for English language learners who are interested in pursuing degrees.
- COEHD ranked 3rd in the United States for producing Hispanic educators and is ranked 29th in the nation for awarding master’s and doctoral degrees to students of color.
- UTSA Ranked among the Top 100 World Universities Under 50 Years Old (Times Higher Education)—the university is one of only eight American universities to make the list.
- UTSA produced 99 doctoral graduates in 2013—Alone, COEHD Produced 189 masters and 11 doctoral graduates in the Fall 2013 semester.
- The COEHD Counseling Department was awarded a rare, eight-year endorsement by the Council for Accreditation and Related Educational Programs for exceeding the standards set forth by the counseling profession (2008).
Advising, Financial Aid and Scholarships
We want to see you succeed! Our Advising Center educates and empowers each student to set and then achieve their educational goals. We also offer assistance to students seeking scholarships (COEHD and external scholarships) and financial aid advising.
- Over the past three years, COEHD has awarded over $400,000 in educational scholarships to our students.
Community Service Opportunities
Our students have the opportunity to participate with faculty in ongoing research and community programs that directly benefit our community with a special emphasis on serving low-income and diverse populations. No matter what their interest, the COEHD has a program or research opportunity to engage the public, gain new knowledge and get the most of their educational experience.
- COEHD recently added the Center for Well Being of Military Families to address the special educational needs of children and families of military members. They will be working with current educators to raise awareness and future educators to prepare them to address these needs.
- Our Reading Preparation Program was the first recipient of the International Reading Association’s Certificate of Distinction.
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Certificate
Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Administration
School Counselor certification
Reading Specialist certification
Graduate degrees with initial teacher certification
- COEHD graduates are renowned for their strong preparation and success at passing Teacher Certification Exams. UTSA boasts a 97 percent pass rate, placing us in the top tier of institutions in the state.
Additional Resources for Students
As part of UTSA, the Institute of Texan Cultures can be a valuable resource for current educators and our students—the educators of tomorrow. ITC offers special exhibits, educator resources, educational programs and tours, and professional development for K-12 educators. Students can also achieve a sense of the culture, diversity and history that makes or community what it is today. Admission is FREE for UTSA students, faculty and staff.
The John Peace Library and Downtown Campus Library offer students online information access, computer terminals, wireless access, print/copy/scan facilities, laptop checkout, study areas, group study rooms and course reserve materials specifically designed for student success.